2 1/2 dozen cookies
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I did 1 cup whole wheat & 1/2 cup whole rye)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided (I use organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup smooth, unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil (organic cold pressed oil)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, applesauce, oil, orange zest and juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Put the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar into a small flat-bottomed dish or pan. Roll the dough with floured hands (it will be very moist) into 1 1/2-inch balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until barely golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dough through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Per cookie: 102 calories; 5 g fat ( 0 g sat , 1 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 94 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat